Music Medicine: by Christine Stevens
Music Medicine: The Science and Spirit of Healing Yourself with Sound by Christine Stevens and Joan Borysenko Ph.D.
Why are we able to recognize melodies in our first days of life? Why does making music actually switch off the genes that signal stress? It is because music is part of who we are at the deepest level—and we don't need any special talent or training to harness its power to enhance our lives. With Music Medicine, music therapist Christine Stevens presents an information-packed resource, filled with scientifically-based practices for accessing and attuning to the natural healing properties of music. Drawing from a wealth of research and her own pioneering healing work in some of the most challenging places around the world, Stevens invites you to discover:
- Accessing the four elements of music-rhythm as medicine for the body, melody for the heart, harmony for the soul, and silence for the mind
- Conscious listening-how to open yourself fully to the healing potential that music offers
- Your musical self-accessing your voice, spirit, and inner music for healing and change
- Clinical research, case studies, and stories that reveal music's extraordinary capacity to reduce stress, prevent illness, and strengthen the immune system
- How music connects us to each other and creates community, even in places of war and conflict
- Inspirational guidance on how to use music for spirituality, personal growth, and well-being
- Healing playlists-each chapter features valuable download recommendations and links for selecting healing music
- The drum massage, creating your power song, full-body listening, and other effective and enjoyable practices
“Music's medicine awaits your discovery,” says Christine Stevens. “I invite you to release any doubts that you are musical, and to realize the power of music to nourish your body, mind, heart, and soul.” With Music Medicine, she provides a thoroughly researched and practical guide for integrating the healing benefits of sound into your life—and discovering the extraordinary transformation that occurs when we liberate our own inner music.
We Also Recommend